- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 4 slices of tilapia fillet
- 2/3 cup sliced mango
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 4 teaspoons jalapeno peppers
- 4 teaspoons minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Combine olive oil, garlic, basil, black pepper and salt in a bowl. Put the tilapia fillets in a resealable plastic bag. Pour the mixture on the fillet and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Make salsa by mixing mango, lime juice, orange juice, jalapeno, red onion, red pepper, green pepper, parsley and black pepper in a bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour to blend flavors.
3. Set the grill to warm up over medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
4. Remove tilapia from the marinade, shake off excess oil and wrap each fillet in foil.
5. Grill tilapia for 3-4 minutes on each side. Pour the salsa sauce over tilapia when serving it.
Tilapia with mango salsa
Spices for fish:
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground dill (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Ingredients for Mango Salsa:
- 1 mango - peeled, pitted, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple into slices
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup black bean, washed and dried (optional)
- 1/2 head red onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 (4) pieces of tilapia fillet
1. Combine paprika, curry powder, caraway seeds, allspice, ginger, coriander, salt, black pepper, fennel and cayenne pepper in a bowl, set the spice mixture aside.
2. In a bowl, mix mango, pineapple, red bell pepper, black beans, red onion and cilantro, pour the mixture with lime juice and mix again. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until at least 30 minutes.
3. Beat the egg and milk in a bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with coconut. Add 1 tablespoon of previously prepared spices to this mixture.
4. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Dip the tilapia fillets in the milk-egg mixture, then gently dip on both sides in the mixture with breadcrumbs. Get rid of excess crumbs and put the fillet in a pan. Fry until the fish is opaque inside and golden brown on the outside, from 3 to 5 minutes on each side or as needed. Serve with mango salsa.
Tilapia: grilled fish and how to cook it
So that the cooking process does not turn into a culinary test for you, and the result does not disappoint, you just need to follow simple recommendations. Then tilapia from the grill will delight you with its delicate taste no less than an appetizing, well-fried meat steak made from pork or beef.
- When choosing tilapia fillets, give preference to large whole pieces.
- To prevent the flesh from sticking, place it on already hot rods.
- The piece must be of sufficient thickness - at least 1 cm. Otherwise, it will either burn, or will be dry and hard.
- Before cooking, make sure that all bars of the grill are properly oiled, otherwise the fillet will stick and you will not be able to remove it without damaging it.
- Do not forget to follow the cooking time. It will take just a couple of minutes on each side to cook tilapia.
- To ensure that the structure does not break and the fibers do not separate from each other, use caution when turning and removing. It is not worth changing the side several times, it is enough just to fry once on one side, turn over and fry on the other until done, then, without turning over again, remove the fish from the grill.
Do not be afraid to try new things and feel free to take on any culinary experiments. Since everyone can cook tilapia with a home grill, we recommend that you include this dish on the menu during your family vacation or holidays with friends.
Tilapia fish: how to choose a fillet to cook a delicious dish
Tilapia is not in vain popular among fans of grilled fish dishes. Its delicate pulp has delicious taste that gourmets, restaurant chefs and supporters of a healthy lifestyle and good nutrition appreciate. Here are the reasons why you should opt for tilapia:
- is the richest natural source of digestible protein
- the fillet of this fish is incredibly tender and soft
- practically no bones in the pulp
- there is no sharp fishy odor that irritates the olfactory receptors and interferes with the full perception of taste
- pieces are hard enough not to fall apart and not to deform during preparation
For your culinary experiment to be successful, you need to know some of the features of choosing a quality product. In stores now you can find fillet by weight or packaged, but not all options can be used for cooking on the grill.
What you need to know when choosing tilapia
- Thin slices for grilling are not good. They fall apart, burn and stick to the rods. Even if you manage to scrape them off, the dish will look ugly and completely appetizing. Therefore, choose the largest, at least 1 cm thick.
- It is very important that the fish is not spoiled. This quality is easy to determine even visually. Take a look at the product: fresh fish have clean gills, fair skin and clear, clear eyes.
- Everyone knows that even fresh fish have a smell. But still it is necessary to distinguish how the smell of fresh and bad fish. The latter smell is always sharp, attracting attention, musky and extremely unpleasant. In the case of tilapia, the less it smells, the better. A suspicious or too strong smell indicates that the product has been on the counter for a long time, or storage conditions have been violated.
- If you buy fillets, make sure that there is no excess moisture in it. Otherwise, on the grill it will fall apart and be raw.
- In the case when a fresh or chilled product is not available in your area, grill tilapia can be prepared from frozen fillet. Make sure that the container is tightly and tightly closed and there is no damage to the packaging.
- If you find yellowing and darkening on the surface, as well as dry and icy spots, set the product aside. Most likely, it was stored incorrectly and it deteriorated.
The choice has been made, which means it's time to move on to the most interesting and crucial part - cooking. Watch the video to see how professionals do it and start creating your own culinary masterpiece.
How to cook grilled tilapia fish fillet: a step by step recipe with photos
The grilling process begins with the collection and preparation of the necessary ingredients. For a delicious, aromatic and juicy dish, you will need the following products:
- tilapia fillets,
- olive oil,
- ground ginger
- dried aromatic herbs (thyme, rosemary, parsley),
You can add any spices that you like, as well as experiment with various sauces. Want to serve a healthy and tasty side dish? Suitable stewed or grilled vegetables, as well as cereals: couscous, barley, lentils. Depending on your tastes and imagination, you can make various combinations. We will share with you a classic recipe on how to cook grilled tilapia fillets.
If you purchased tilapia in a frozen form or it was lying in your home in a freezer, do not immediately place it at room temperature. Let the fish slowly and gradually thaw in the refrigerator during the day. So it will have a denser texture, preserve freshness and juiciness.
Rinse the fillet thoroughly after thawing. The water should be cold, otherwise the growth of bacteria may begin on the surface of the fish. Dry fish should already be laid out on the grill, so blot the tilapia with a paper towel.
Spices and sauce
The classic option is a combination of garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Mix spices with each other so that the powder turns out to be more uniform, you can slightly bother them. Dry thawed tilapia is coated with sauce on both sides and rubbed with spices. Salt can also be added to taste. In this form, send the fillet to marinate in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
Put tilapia on a hot surface. On the one hand you need to fry for about 3-5 minutes. For turning, do not use tongs, but a wide spatula so as not to damage the integrity of the piece. Try not to put the fillet again on the same side, let it fry first, before you turn it over. You can check readiness by cutting a piece in the thickest place. If the pulp is opaque, white - the fish can be removed and carried to the table.
Serving ready-made tilapia is best right away, while it retains its juiciness and aroma. For serving, black ground pepper, a slice of lemon and fresh chopped greens are suitable.