(Collection "Encyclopedia of Career" - M., 2007)
Resume is one of the most effective job search tools. In fact, it is a summary of the most important facts for your employer about your biography and professional experience. When writing a resume, you need to remember that it will become your business card and should set you apart from the huge stream of people looking for work.
The summary should consist of 1-2 pages and cover the following aspects:
It is recommended to write in large letters (18-20 font sizes) in the center at the top. The words "Summary" and "Name" are not written.
Enter your phone number, email address. Indicate your home address is desirable, but not required. You can limit yourself to the area (metro station). Write the means of communication by which you could be quickly contacted.
Write what vacancy, job or field of activity you are applying for. Usually begins with the phrase "Job Search ...".
Education (primary and secondary)
Provide information about both fundamental education and additional: courses, seminars, trainings, internships, etc. Indicate the necessary data for each place of study:
- Date of receipt and completion (month, year)
- Name of educational institution, name of faculty
- Level of education (secondary, secondary technical, higher, incomplete higher (this wording is for those who dropped out of school)
- Name of specialty
Indicate data for each place of work, starting from the last (current):
- Date of receipt and completion (month, year)
- Company name
- Company line of business
- Title of your post
- Functional responsibilities (preferably in detail)
- Acquired skills, knowledge, abilities, achievements (specific facts from professional activity)
For students and graduates, this section may contain information about both paid and unpaid work (writing a term paper, diploma, social and volunteer activity).
Professional skills and knowledge
List your skills and knowledge suitable for the specialty that is the purpose of your resume, and also indicate:
- Level of computer skills, special programs
- Office equipment
Indicate if available.
Knowledge of languages
Indicate language and level of proficiency (elementary, advanced, fluency)
Indicate the competencies and qualities that you possess.
Personal data (optional)
- Date of Birth
- Travel Opportunity
- Family status
- Driver license
Remember! Do not try to use templates. Your resume should be individual and create an idea about you.
Summary for the "Inexperienced"
“Experience” should be interpreted broadly as any activity that a student was engaged in for the achievement of a certain goal, regardless of whether he was paid or not. Thus, the concept of “work experience” includes such areas as volunteering, training assignments, own projects, not to mention the small temporary work that almost every student does. However, the employer will be able to appreciate this wide range only if the applicant correctly submits it in his resume.
Pay special attention to flexible skills and properties.
There are situations in which a successful result is associated with the manifestation of different abilities and skills, some skills being limited to a specific task, while others can be used more widely. Students should ask the following questions: “What was required of me when completing this task?”, “How did I achieve the desired result?”, “What did I learn in the process of doing the work?”
Listed below are some groups of skills that will help you better assess your experience: analytical skills (the ability to evaluate, study, research), communication (the ability to correspond, write letters, edit, sell, speak to the public, explain), creative (ability to organize , design skills, the ability to draw, photograph), interactive (organization of trainings, experience in teaching, consulting, problem solving, interviewing), organizational (management, planning, guidelines ), Quantitative (the ability to work with a calculator, make a budget, keep accounts), scientific (installation and operation experience, measurements, diagnostics, the ability to provide information on the scientific language).
Found a typo?
Select it, press Ctrl + Enter and send us a notification. Thank you for participating!
The service is intended only for sending messages about spelling and punctuation errors.
An example of the “additional education” section for the position of cardiologist:
- May 2001 - October 2011 Institute of Cardiology. Popova, advanced training, courses "Diagnosis of heart disease."
- October 2005 - March 2006 Center for Continuing Education, courses "Modern Methods for the Treatment of Hypertension Syndrome".
- July 2008. The highest qualification category in the specialty of cardiology was assigned.
- January 2010 - April 2010 Kiev Center for Private Medical Practice, advanced training, courses "The value of coronarography in the process of diagnosing diseases."
Remember that additional education should be purely informative in nature, the meaning of which is to display data that can decisively affect the decision-making on your candidacy by the employer.
Stage One - Resume Writing
80% of success depends on the quality of the resume.
Firstly, because this is the first. what the employer sees when considering a candidate for a particular vacancy.
Secondly, this is the first impression on which the further status of the applicant depends: whether they will call the candidate, or invite them to a personal interview.
On the Internet there are lots of recommendations for writing CV, starting from step-by-step compilation, ending with commonplace standard templates.
But in order to remember exactly your resume, you should remember the importance of following basic tips.
Recommendations for writing a resume:
1. Volume - a maximum of 1.5 pages (as practice shows: the employer does not read anything more than 1.5 pages),
2. The readability of the text (font, size, indentation, paragraphs - must be maintained. It is important to highlight 2-3 main emphasis that the applicant wants to pay particular attention to the employer, because the resume is screened within the first 30 seconds),
3. Compliance with grammar and spelling rules of spelling (Indicator of professionalism and literacy of a potential candidate),
4. Structure (the employer should get a concrete and clear picture of the perception about the candidate),
5. It is important not the amount of text but its quality (Details of each of the paragraphs of the resume can be provided already at the stage of a personal interview),
6. Be sure to include all your contact details, email address.
7. Do not choose complex templates for resumes, as this makes it difficult to import data from resumes into recruiter databases.
The following is an example of the structure and richness of a good resume:
It is advisable to indicate the full name, first name, middle name.
Some advise to write in capital letters for a more visible effect, do not do this in any case - this makes it difficult for recruiters to work,
When choosing a photo for your resume, you should be very serious about choosing a photo because it can serve as a pleasant bonus and an unexpected minus when selecting a candidate (some employers, seeing an inappropriate photo of the applicant at the screening stage, do not consider the further possibility of contacting this applicant).
- restrained style of dress,
- light smile
- well-groomed appearance,
- lack of bright makeup,
- neutral background,
- 60% of the photograph is the face of the applicant,
- the absence of unauthorized persons and objects in the photo.
3. Personal and contact information.
In the heading of the resume, it is important to highlight:
- a valid contact phone number (if there are several operators, you must specify two numbers),
- email address (! The name of the email account must be appropriate, it is recommended to avoid this kind of nicknames: kotik muuur @ ..., XXX @ ..., sexy ... @),
- date of birth (in parentheses is age), citizenship (Country),
- address of residence (if this information for the candidate is strictly personal, you can restrict yourself to indicating the city),
- marital status, children and their age (the status of the candidate for the employer is important for understanding how the candidate will be attached to the family, and is mobile on business trips).
! Summary - the document and the person of the candidate, this is not a personal diary in which there are no restrictions, you do not need to write statuses: in search, in divorce, civil marriage, everything is complicated ...
4. The purpose.
The applicant does not always indicate his goal of finding a job, but as practice shows, for the employer it is an indicator of the candidate's motivation and interest. Therefore, you can specify the name of the position and a description of the functionality for which the candidate is applying.
In the goal section, you can also specify the desired level of w.p. (however, in order to avoid prejudice against the candidate, based on his requests for wages and premature screening of the candidate, the salary level can not be indicated until the employer asks for it.) If you decide to indicate the level of payment you are counting on - indicate the minimum level below which, do not agree to consider job offers.
In this paragraph it is necessary to indicate the full name of the educational institution, the city in which the educational institution is located, the form of training (hospital, correspondence, evening), faculty, specialty, qualification (indicated in the diploma) of the year of study from ... to ... If there are several diplomas, the first place is better to put the education that is more suitable for the selected vacancy.
6. Further education.
A bonus for the applicant will be an indication of additional courses, workshops, master classes, seminars, trainings, certificates, diplomas, certificates that relate to the position for which the candidate is applying. (The above will testify to the candidate’s focus and interest precisely in the field to which he claims).
It is necessary to indicate the name of the course, its duration, the year of receipt of the supporting document and the organization that conducted this training.
7. Work experience.
Perhaps the most important and defining section in the entire resume. In this paragraph, the candidate describes his early work experience. It is important to remember the chronology of indicating previous jobs: starting with the last.
First, the name of the organization, (the scope of the organization), the period of work, the position held, the main tasks and areas of responsibility are indicated.
A common mistake that most job seekers make is a detailed, detailed description of their functional responsibilities in all previous jobs. The result is a solid text and the absence of any results of activities and achievements.
Describe your successes and achievements in technology SMART-goals.
Each of the letters of the abbreviation is capitalized for one of the “filters” by which “SMART targets” should be checked.
• Specific - Specific,
• Measurable - Measurable,
• Relevant - Relevant,
• Achievable - Achievable,
• Time-Bound - Time limited.
8. Additional information.
In this section, the candidate can indicate the level of knowledge of foreign languages (Russian - native, English - advanced, German - colloquial or use the English definitions: Pre-Intermediate - below average, Intermediate - intermediate, Upper-Intermediate - above average, Advanced - advanced.) , skills in working with computer programs (Word, Excel, Power Point, 1C, SAP ...) - “At the level of an experienced user” or “Confident user”, the applicant can summarize this section by indicating skills in working with Internet browsers and office equipment (Faxes, Scanners Copyro cial vehicles ...)
9. Special skills.
The applicant can indicate the presence of a driver’s license, while noting the category, driving experience, car make.
10. Personal qualities.
In this section, it should be noted all of their positive qualities that will be acceptable for the selected vacancy. You should not indicate everything in a row good qualities that you can only find on the Internet. Let it be 3-4 points, but those that really reflect the picture of the personality of the applicant. A brief description of how these very positive qualities manifested themselves is not superfluous.
11. Interests and hobbies.
If the moment is difficult to describe, then you can skip it, but it is hobbies that determine how much the candidate loves teamwork, how active the life position of the applicant is, whether he is engaged in self-development. The classic version is a description of two to three hobbies: Reading books, playing sports, etc.
The second stage - how to write a cover letter
Covering letter - an extremely important detail that many neglect. If you want the resume to be remembered, it is not superfluous to attach a cover letter to it. Since such a trifle will once again emphasize the candidate’s interest in this particular work and in this particular company. Moreover - this is an additional opportunity to once again indicate your name and contact information.
A cover letter to the resume is a letter to the employer in which the applicant has the opportunity to declare himself as a potential candidate for a vacancy in the company and to interest the employer in considering exactly his resume.
The presence of a cover letter is not a mandatory aspect, but it will definitely be an additional advantage of the candidate when selecting for an open position.
Recommendations for writing a cover letter:
In the upper corner of the cover letter, you must indicate your surname, first name, middle name, position for which the applicant claims, the company to which the letter is sent and contact details.
The letter must be addressed to the specific addressee of the company: the representative of the HR department, or the director of the company, at the same time indicate his name, position and name of the company.
Examples of treatment in a letter:
• Dear ...
• Dear ...
• Good afternoon, morning, evening ...
• Please ... pay attention to ...
Further in the letter it is important to indicate the vacancy for which the applicant and the source who provided information about the vacancy are submitted. A letter in the letter about the achievements, goals and ideas of the company that attracted the attention of the candidate will not be out of place.
• I was interested in the position ...
• Heard about your company as a leader in the field of ...
• I saw an open vacancy on your site ...
Further, it is necessary to interest the employer in why you applied to this company and it is you who are worthy to take this position. You can focus on what distinguishes you from other job seekers and how your experience will be useful to this employer.
• I believe that my experience in ...
• I am sure that my professional experience will be useful ...
• I thoroughly own ...
Further, it is important to focus on how you are grateful to the company representatives for the time devoted to your candidacy and for their reading of the cover letter.
• Thank you for your time.
• Thank you for paying attention to my candidacy.
• I would be very happy if you can call me back.
• I will be glad / glad to answer your questions by telephone or in person.
• You will find my resume and recommendations in the attached file.
At the end of the letter, it is necessary to emphasize your respect for the employer:
Sincerely, ... (name), ...
Once the resume is ready, the cover letter is ready, you can safely begin to seriously storm all the opportunities that employers offer in the labor market.
After all, as they say: "The road will be overpowered by the walking one."